Are you looking to improve your health by starting Yoga in Sydney?
Trying to find a good Yoga Class in Sydney, but you’re not sure which Yoga Studio will suit you?
Welcome to our Yoga Sydney website, where we tell you a little bit more about the benefits of Yoga and help find the perfect Sydney based Yoga classes.
First off, here are 11 simple pointers that can be adopted by anyone and everyone to help be healthy :
- Sleep : Ideally, its recommended that one should go to bed by ten in the evening. This is because before midnight the cosmic position of the earth provides the most favorable radiation for the regeneration of the nervous system. In fact, it is widely believed that the best hours for sleep and complete rest is between ten in the evening and four in the morning.
- Alcohol and Tobacco : Alcohol and Tobacco destroy the nervous centers that Yoga seeks to animate and hence it is best abstained from the vices of alcohol and tobacco. Abuse of them not only leads to deterioration of health, but also to mental force and vigor.
- Swimming : Make most of an opportunity to swim in a lake, Sea, river, etc.. Particularly swimming in the sea, tones the skin up with the minerals, iodine and pure air rich in ozone. Swimming is the best exercise for regulating and controlling breathing, and hence extremely beneficial to health.
- Airings / ‘Airbathing’ : Ever so often, one must remove the clothing to allow the pores to breathe freely. This is extremely good for the body and improves the exterior tone to the neurovegetative system helping develop a strong power of resistance.
- Drugs : These are a definite no-no ! They have a harmful effect on the nervous and digestive system and ruin the freshness of the complexion. Toxic products such as these are a veritable poison for the body and the mind. They reduce the mental faculties and destroy the will-power and resistance.
- Eating : Meals must be taken in moderation. Food should be thoroughly masticated (chewed) so that it is mixed with the saliva and may be absorbed and assimilated more easily. Excessive consumption of meat introduces many toxins and waste products severely taxing the digestive organs. Yoga endorses food such as raw and green vegetables, fruits and fresh fruit juices, milk and diary products and honey filled with Prana is of supreme importance for life, energy and health.
- Bath : Shower everyday ! This gives the skin a chance to breathe considering that it is mostly covered in a thick layer of clothes !
- Rest and Relaxation : Rhythmic breathing will help relax.
- Do Regular YOGA 🙂
What is a Well Balanced Yoga-Diet?
It’s not something everyone thinks about when they think Yoga – isn’t it meant to be a whole heap of stretches and breathing??
But diet is important and a well-balanced Yoga diet contains enough supply of protein, carbohydrates, fats, salts, and minerals. The quantity of food absorbed must correspond to the needs of the body. It is not only the quantity of nourishment the body requires, but also its quality which supplies the body cells with vital force in proper proportion.
Medical science confirms that the excessive amount of calories absorbed in overeating accumulates in the form of fat and thus accelerates the deterioration of the human body.
In the beginning of time, humans ate plants, roots and wild fruit. Later, crops were cultivated to provide agricultural produce. Those who lived in cold and snow-bound regions consumed fish and meat as they were unable to find anything else. Today, as ‘civilized’ humans, we eat artificial food and stimulants – we may have almost lost the natural instinct guiding us towards healthy food !
What we eat must be fresh, clean and wherever possible, untreated. Greasy, fried food must be avoided because they are bad for the liver. A diet that is adopted must include increased amounts of raw foodstuff like green salads, vegetables, fruits, cereals, milk and diary products (cheese, curds, etc.), and honey. In cold environments, certain amount of meat and fish may be consumed. Fresh fruits and vegetable juices are also excellent for health.
So given this context, please find below three most important factors required for a well-balanced Yoga diet:
- Firstly, choose nourishing food as this will increase your energy and vitality; judicious use of these foods will help maintain the same !
- Secondly, eat in moderation (recommended it be slightly less than your fill !). Doing so will help your body feel light, active and energetic. Eating more than you need will deform the body, reduce efficiency, damage health and eventually shorten life.
- Thirdly, you must thoroughly masticate (chew) your food and mix it with the saliva to aid digestion and assimilation. Chew each mouthful atleast ten to fifteen times till it is thoroughly insalivated (soaked in saliva), reduced to a pulp and then into juice !
The Power of Onion and Garlic for the body
Onions are commonly used in cooking across the world and are found in most homes. Onion juice is an aphrodisiac, stimulant and expectorant. Onions contain a large quantity of vitamin A, B, C. They also contain iron, iodine, sulphur, sodium, potassium, nitrates and phosphates of calcium, silicon, etc.. Sugars and soluble carbo-hydrates are also found in them.
Despite raw onion lends an unpleasant odor to the breath, it is effective in this particular form as compared to it being fried or cooked – helps in disinfecting the alimentary canals. When eaten raw, onion also has a diuretic effect.
There are two kinds of onions – one is white and the other is red. They are piquant in flavor but are nourishing and can help calm coughs. They stimulate the appetite, act as tonic and although slightly less easily digested, constitute excellent antidotes. They also soothe stomachaches, relieve flatulence and increase semen.
The red alkaline onion has a bitter taste sometimes sweet, which stimulates the appetite. It is extremely soporific, but calms a dry throat. Bile and toxins inn the body disappear with this onion.
Onion seeds cure dental infections and urinary diseases. Onions should be regularly included in our daily diet; dental problems are prevented because they protect the roots of the teeth from all sorts of infections.
Many kinds of migraine are treated by the application of onion pulp to the soles of the feet. In cases of fainting, patients are made to inhale a few drops of onion juice at short intervals to help regain consciousness quickly.
Onions prepared in vinegar immediately soothe stomachaches, are an excellent digestive and appetizer, and have been tested against numerous diseases of the spleen, where they have been known to reduce dilation to a normal level. They are also a speedy remedy against anemia.
Garlic is a condiment that has been known for a very long time !
It is added to food almost in every country across the universe. It has a strong smell and sharp flavor. To reduce the smell of garlic one can chew a few grains of aniseed, coffee beans, cardamom seeds, fennel, cumin or simply suck a slice of lemon. Garlic is highly antiseptic and bracing. Its essence if often used for various medical preparations. In some countries it is considered to be a universal remedy against all illness.
- Garlic contains sulphur, iodine, silicon, starch, sulphurized glycoside, allium oxide, etc..
- It stimulates and re-establishes the equilibrium of the glands,
- Garlic serves as an intestinal and pulmonary antiseptic,
- Garlic dissolves uric acid,
- Garlic renders the blood more fluid.
- Garlic is diuretic substance,
- Garlic is a vasodilator and hypotenser against gout,
- Garlic Is an agent against sclerosis, arthritis, rheumatism and asthma.
- It is also an excellent remedy against high blood pressure in the arteries, cardiac fatigue, vascular spasms, circulatory troubles, varicose veins, hemorrhoids and glandular imbalances.
Garlic may be used in cooking for ones own general upkeep and hence must be added raw to salads
Hope you enjoy this magic of Onions and Garlic !
How Does Complete Yoga Breathing Help?
There are quite a lot of benefits of Complete Yogic Breathing. In fact, we must remember that exercises of the external muscles alone is not that beneficial. Internal organs also need exercises and in that Complete Yogic breathing is truly a gift from nature.
Diaphragm : Every movement of the respiratory organs makes those of nutrition and digestion vibrate literally giving them a massage while supplying and evacuating a large quantity of blood to invigorate the various organs. If they are not treated in this way, they will remain sluggish and refuse to function properly. In fact, deficient movement of the Diaphragm is the cause of many illnesses.
Respiratory organs : Complete Yogic breathing brings all of the respiratory organs into play guarding against pulmonary infections in general, and is very important in preventing certain sicknesses like asthma, heart trouble, etc..
Perfect Health : Complete Yogic breathing can be of great help in marinating perfect health. It can revive the body when completely exhausted and bring calmness to both the nervous system and mind.
Prana : Majority of Yoga breathing exercises are intended to help accumulate Prana which helps maintain the whole body. It is possible to not only increase the Prana absorbed by deep and regular inhalation, but also to consciously direct it by exhalation to all parts of the body. This means that vital organs, endocrine glands, nervous centers and body tissues are better nourished.
Cardiac troubles and high blood pressure in the arteries can also be cured with complete yogic breathing.
Abundant absorption of Prana calms the whole of the nervous system. Heartbeat becomes normal and the lungs are thoroughly aired. We are filled with feeling of mental and physical peace and wellness.
What is Pranayama?
This Pranayama is neither difficult nor dangerous and hence is conducive for one and all to practice it.
Rhythmic breathing has two variations :
- First, the inhalation takes exactly the same time as exhalation.
- Second, the two take the same amount of time but there is a pause between inhalation and exhalation that is equal to half of the time each take.
For this type of breathing, it is important to concentrate mentally before becoming used to the rhythm.
Yoga students and teachers often time their breathing according to the rate of their heartbeats – these will differ from person to person. Its important to adapt the breathing to one’s own desired rhythm and this must be done only after a moment of relaxation.
To check the heartbeats, the pulse must be taken while one counts from one to six. The calculation must be repeated until the rhythm is firmly fixed in the mind. This type of breathing can help achieve control of the nerves.